Each year, Downtown Indy, Inc. conducts an assessment of the cleanliness of block faces and facades in our Mile Square. We are committed to a clean and green Downtown through coordinating and leveraging resources among private and public partners. We are all in this together!
Clean equals safe in the public’s perception. Downtown Indy, Inc. uses several tools to help keep streets and properties clean and litter-free 24 hours-a-day, 365 days-a-year. Our deployment of Street Ambassadors focus on power washing public sidewalks, picking up litter and removing graffiti. We are hopeful that private property owners are doing the same.
To that end, our Sidewalk Cleaning Assessment alerts business and building owners of issues that need their attention and what the standards are in keeping our Downtown clean and hospitable. The PRELIMINARY scores are in. We plan to share our final scores later this spring. If you do not agree with our individual assessment of certain properties, please let us know so we can come up with a plan to adjust.
And thank you once again for your role in helping maintain our commitment to having the cleanest Downtown in the nation. See below for our basic cleaning standards for Downtown properties.
Downtown Cleaning & Façade Standards
- Remove all trash, cigarettes, gum, etc. from entrances of buildings, parking lots, loading docks, sidewalks, curb sides, flower beds and alleys four times daily, preferably starting before 7AM.
- Provide ash urns and clean out as often as needed.
- Maintain sidewalks and entrances free of snow and ice.
- Clean window glass on or near entrance doors daily
- Remove graffiti, preferably within a 24-hour period
- Power wash sidewalks a minimum of four times annually or as needed.
- Paint and clan tree grates as needed.
- Pick up litter from surface parking lots daily, especially after an event.
- Sweeping parking lots mechanically a minimum of two times annually or as needed.
- Maintain water run-off drains and remove trapped litter from drain covers.
- Remove weeds from sidewalks.
- Maintain signs & awnings in good repair and front door in working order.
- Power wash building fronts, if appropriate, to remove grime and dirt.
- Provide planters and plant with 3 seasons of flowers (if room allows)
- Welcome mat, if appropriate
All of this helps Indianapolis to be a clean, safe and vibrant Downtown.